- While there is much fanfare about billion dollar exits when they happen, they represent only 2.5% of all private tech company acquisitions.
- 50% of Exits are Less than $50 Million.
- Just 8 private companies were acquired for more than $1 billion in 2012 with 6 being US-based.
- The Majority (76%) of tech companies acquired in 2012 had not raised institutional investment prior to acquisition.
- Google and Facebook were the most active acquirers – the two tech behemoth acquired 12 private tech company acquisitions between them in 2012.
- Strategic buyers accounted for 94% of acquisitions. Financial acquirers comprised a small 6% of deal volume.
- On average, companies raised $25.4M and were acquired for an average of $172.0M.
- There were 190 M&A transactions per month on average.